Monday, February 1, 2010

Captivate

Captivate
By Carrie Jones
Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2010. 276 pg. Young Adult

In the second book of the Need series, Zara and her friends have further run-ins with pixies. Although they've trapped Zara's father (the pixie king in their area) and his followers, many other pixies are attracted to the area, sensing the opportunity to gain more territory and power. Zara and her friends need to find out as much as they can about pixies in order to defend themselves and their townspeople against the pixie invasion. Zara will do anything to keep her friends safe, even if it means sacrificing herself.

Captivate didn't quite captivate me. There were a LOT of unanswered questions, which I'm sure will be addressed in future books, but I felt like there were so many left unanswered that it was somewhat annoying. Although there were definitely action scenes, there were also moments of too much down time. This book just didn't quite flow the way I would like. However, I'll definitely read the next book, as there are definitely things I need to know.

AE

1 comment:

ALC said...

I enjoyed the first book in the series and had to accept that this is a second book and therefore there is just a lot of plot development going on. In addition, this book introduces the obligatory second suitor that seems to be necessary these days for all young adult supernatural fiction. I think the book does suffer a little bit from the lack of Nick, who I found to be great fictional boyfriend material. However, Zara must come to terms with her pixie side. I'm looking forward to the next book to see what happens.