Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sarah's Quilt

Sarah’s Quilt: the Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona Territories, 1906
By Nancy Turner
Thomas Dunne Books, 2005. 402 pgs. Fiction

Sarah’s Quilt is the continued story of Sarah Agnes Prine, a settler in the Arizona Territories around the turn of the century. Her story continues with many of the characters introduced in These Is My Words with the notable addition of her sons. Life in the territories is never easy and the year 1906 brings many challenges, including her sons dropping out of college, a severe drought threatening to destroy the home she has struggled to build, and extended family coming and going, some temporarily and some forever.

I did not enjoy this second installment in Sarah’s story as much as the first. This may be because of characters no longer a part of the story (sob!!), but I also didn’t feel as close a connection to Sarah as I did in These Is My Words. The journal entry narration seemed to lose some of its authenticity and….did I mention that I missed people from the first book!! (I don’t want to spoil anything….but, I MISS ____!!) This short series should definitely be read in order and if you enjoyed the first, I would recommend reading this one as well. It is good, just not as good as the original.

CZ

No comments: