Thursday, August 25, 2011

Page by Paige

Page by Paige
By Laura Lee Gulledge
Amulet Books, 2011. 1 volume (unpaged). Young Adult

The unfortunately named Paige Turner has just moved to New York from Virginia. While her parents are excited about the move, Paige isn't. She has a lot of emotions, doubts, and worries swirling around in her. She decides to start putting those feelings and dilemmas down on paper, opening herself up in her sketchbook. She also starts to realize the value in opening up to other people. Fighting her insecurities is hard, but as she continues with her art and with building relationships, she finds a sense of empowerment and more inner peace.

This graphic novel is fantastic! I was blown away by the illustrations, which so fabulously illustrated Paige's inner turmoil. The prose was good, too, varying with Paige's varying emotions, from darker to buoyant. There's a tiny bit of innuendo but it's otherwise clean. I think this is my new favorite graphic novel, and I highly recommend it.

AE


1 comment:

ACS said...

I really enjoyed this graphic novel for a lot of reasons. The descriptions of the mixed emotions a teenager feels really struck a chord with me. As someone who works with teens often, and who once was a teen, I can remember, understand and appreciate how difficult it is to put into words/pictures what feelings someone is having. Paige is an artist, and the struggles she goes through relating to her art are very common for many other artists. Her perseverance and the way she challenges herself to deal with these struggles are things I wish I could share with everyone. She’s a great main character and this is easy for me to recommend.

ACS