Monday, December 2, 2019

XxxHolic 1

XxxHolic 1
by CLAMP
Del Rey, 2004. 194 pgs. Young Adult Fiction

Watanuki sees spirits, and they haunt him aggressively. As he is running from a particularly frightening vision, he stumbles against a garden wall and the spirit disappears. Inside the walls he meets the mysterious witch Yuko, who offers to take his ability to see spirits – once he has paid the price. Thus begin Watanuki’s adventures as he works in Yuko’s very unusual shop.

I am not well acquainted with Japanese manga, but this caught my eye and I thought I’d try it and I don’t regret it! I enjoyed the story, and the manga format is new and interesting to me. Yuko is my favorite character, she’s rather cryptic with Watanuki but when she explains the reasons behind her seemingly random actions it pulls everything together. This series crosses over with the Tsubasa series by the same author, but reading them both is not required to follow the story.

ER

No comments: