Friday, December 6, 2019

C.S. Lewis' Little Book of Wisdom

C.S. Lewis' Little Book of Wisdom
by C.S. Lewis; compiled by Andrea Kirk Assaf and Kelly Anne Leahy
Hampton Roads Publishing, 2018. 400 pages. Nonfiction

This book is a collection of quotes by C. S. Lewis which have been collected from various writings. The book is divided into themed sections including: Living a Full Life with Christ, Choosing Joy, Transforming Grief,  Learning to Love, Lessons from Reality and the Imagination, The Consolation of Friendship, Reason to Hope, Recognizing Sin, Finding God, and Aslan's Country: Onward Toward Heaven. 

I picked up this book for two reasons. The first is that I wanted to quickly familiarize myself with Lewis's thoughts on several different topics without reading all of his works. The second is that I was looking for a light, quick read. I realized my folly after a couple of hours reading. There is really nothing quick or light about Lewis. But I did enjoy this read quite a bit. Occasionally I found it difficult to fully understand a concept from just the quote instead of having the surrounding context that I'm sure the full work would have provided, but overall I felt enlightened and more connected with Lewis than I had previously. It took several couple hour sessions for me to get through the book, but I enjoyed taking Lewis's wisdom in chunks.

No comments: