Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Venetia

Venetia
by Georgette Heyer
Heinemann Books, 1958. 355 pages. Romance

Venetia is beautiful, clever, sensible, and firmly on the shelf. Her restrictive life in the country prevented her from experiencing a London Season and now her only marriage prospects are a puppy-like youth and an over persistent man. She thus resigns herself to spinsterhood. Then her neighbor, Lord Damerel, arrives. Though he is a notorious rake, she soon finds herself falling in love with him.

Richard Armitage. Do I have your attention?  Good. I listened to this book on the Libby app and Richard Armitage was the narrator. Now, Richard Armitage could read a phone book and I would listen from A to Z. That being said, his voice added a lot to the experience of this book for me. I was not particularly supportive of the love interest, but I didn't mind his offensive behavior half as much as I would have simply because the narration was amazing. This romance was a clean read and there were plot twists that kept me interested. As a general rule, I will always recommend Georgette Heyer. However, I highly recommend listening to this one for a Richard experience.

HS

No comments: