Thursday, November 29, 2018

Knit Yourself Calm: A Creative Path to Managing Stress

Knit Yourself Calm: A Creative Path to Managing Stress 
by Lynne Rowe
Search Press, 2017. 112 pgs. Non-fiction.

The author knows knitting is relaxing and science agrees! People who knit frequently are happier for it, even those with clinical depression. Even if you’ve never touched a knitting needle in your life, don’t discount this method of stress management just yet. Rowe has created a simple beginners how-to knit book so that anyone regardless of skill level can access the calming power of knitting. The book consists of a short explanation of the mental benefits of regular knitting, what you’ll need to get started, a projects section, and simple instructions for knitting techniques needed to complete the projects.

At first I decided to pick up knitting because my child is less likely to draw blood with knitting needles than embroidery needles, but then I saw this book and thought the stress relieving aspect an equally attractive quality. I started with a child’s hat, which I will hopefully finish while it’s still cold, but so far it’s been simple. The instructions in the book are easy to follow and nearly adequate on their own, but I did need to supplement with a couple of online videos to feel like I really understood. My only real complaint is the lack of left-handed instructions, but that isn’t a problem for most people. Overall this is a great beginner’s guide to knitting, with some interesting information about the mental health benefits of picking up the hobby.

ER

No comments: