Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Starflight

Starflight
By Melissa Landers
Hyperion, 2016. 368 pgs. Young Adult

Opposites and enemies since high school, Doran Spaulding is a pretty-boy from a wealthy family and wants for nothing, while Solara Brooks wants a fresh start where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. When Doran experiences a brief bout of amnesia, Solara is able to convince him that he is in service to her, switching social statuses with him as she heads to the outer realm on a renegade ship with an eccentric crew to get her fresh start. However, when Doran is framed for conspiracy, both of them are suddenly on the run for different reasons.

I originally became interested in this novel because I liked the idea of the two characters switching social statuses. I wanted the spoiled and prideful Doran to get what was coming to him, but as I read on this book became so much more than that. It was about friendship, what it means to be family, and deciding what’s most important in life. Often I find that I like plot or characterization more in a book, but I feel like both were well done in this case. I could easily recommend this to others.

ACS

No comments: