Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
By Jenny Lawson
Flatiron Books, 2015. 329 pgs. Biography

Jenny Lawson has suffered with mental illness her whole life. In this candid biography she  explores what it means to really live life, not just survive it. She doesn't try to hide the fact that she has severe depression and anxiety and by being so honest in her book she makes others realize that they are not alone in their struggles.

This book is crazy and a little random and absolutely hilarious. This is a book that had me laughing so hard that I couldn't even read the words on the page. I think I actually snorted a couple times too. The thing I liked most about this book is that she shares many crazy experiences but then she has deeply profound passages about what it means to live life with depression and with all the very real, very scary thoughts that accompany it. As someone who has suffered from depression off and on over the years I recognized the truth in her words.  The author does use a lot of strong language throughout the book.

AL

No comments: