Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America

The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America
By Matt Kracht
Chronicle Books LLC, 2019. 169 pages. Nonfiction

This snarky, illustrated handbook is equal parts profane, funny, and -- let's face it -- true. Featuring 50 common North American birds, Kracht identifies all the idiots in your backyard and details exactly why they suck with humorous, yet angry, ink drawings. Each entry is accompanied by facts about a bird's (annoying) call, its (dumb) migratory pattern, its (downright tacky) markings, and more.

It's no secret that I love birds; they've always been dear to my heart. This refreshing and hilarious read was written by an adamant bird-hater, so you'll need at least a little sense of humor and a tolerance for Kracht's strong language. I thoroughly enjoyed this witty and irreverent commentary, because let's be honest: no matter how much you love birds, everyone hates that white splatter on their windshield.

DT

1 comment:

Melinda said...

While I respect all creatures of the earth, I definitely don't enjoy some of them. Mostly birds. We've got a complicated relationship and for every nice thing I can say about them, I've got a snarky thing or two to add. This book absolutely jives with my feelings towards my feathered frenemies. Majestic and creepy, delicate and annoying, agile and at times so, so dumb - birds are many things that I can appreciate and complain about. All I can say is thank you, Matt Kracht, for making me laugh and validating me all in one book.

MW