Friday, March 13, 2020

Go to Sleep (I Miss You)

Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood
by Lucy Knisley
New York : First Second, an imprint of Roaring Brook Press, 2020.177 Pages. Graphic Novel

Following the completion of her pregnancy memoir Kid Gloves (and the birth of her baby), Lucy embarked on a new project: documenting new motherhood in short, spontaneous little cartoons, which she posted on her Instagram, and which quickly gained her a huge cult following among other moms.

As soon as I saw the title of this book, I knew it was for me. Being a new mother myself, I'm familiar with how desperate you feel when your baby doesn't sleep, and also how much you remember your baby when she finally does sleep. This book made me laugh out loud. Just about every page reminded me of something I have experienced on my journey through motherhood. I appreciate Lucy Knisley's honesty, her sense of humor, and, of course, her art. If you're a mom, read this. If you know someone who is a mom or will be a mom, give this book to them. 

NS

No comments: