Friday, September 13, 2019

Super Late Bloomer

Super Late Bloomer
By Julia Kaye
Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2018. 158 pages. Graphic Novel

Julia Kaye made short comics documenting the early period of her gender transition. This touching and personal memoir includes episodes dealing with gender dysphoria, reactions from friends and family, the small actions and comments from strangers that affected how she saw herself, and a variety of other circumstances and emotions.

This is an easily digestible graphic novel with a short, four panel comic on each page. Each vignette is special and impactful in its own way. Whether it shows the devastation of the Amazon delivery person saying “here you go, sir,” or the elation of her parents finally getting her pronouns correct without correction, these comics highlight small moments that can be hard to express in other ways. When I picked this book up I didn’t intend to get sucked in right away. I thought I’d just read a few pages and move on, but it went so quick that I couldn’t put it down. An hour later I finished it and wanted more. This is easily something I could recommend to others, especially for someone looking for a quick foray into graphic novels.

ACS

No comments: