Monday, March 11, 2019

Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness

Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
By Ingrid Fetell Lee
Little, Brown Spark, 2018. 359 pages. Nonfiction


Designer and TED star Ingrid Fetell Lee explains why balloons make us smile, why orange creamsicles and sunsets make us happy, and why baby animals make us coo. Using groundbreaking research, Lee shows how even small changes in our lives, like a round pillow or a splash of blue paint can change our physiology. Lee argues that the physical world has a huge impact on our happiness and that we can bring elements of it into our homes to change how we feel for the better.

This book was fascinating. The research ranges from psychology to neuroscience to internal medicine. I knew that nature could affect my mood, but I didn’t realize that bringing elements like shapes, textures, and colors in from outside could change my happiness level and even my blood pressure. Lee's hope is that people can use these techniques to find more joyfulness in their lives. I can't wait to get started.

AG

1 comment:

Breanne said...

This was a delightful look at how everyday things that can lift your mood and add a little brightness to life. I enjoyed hearing how some studies can even confirm these effects, and I plan to incorporate some of her suggestions into my surroundings to help spark joy. While I don't think there is anything completely life-changing in this book, I think that simply reading this can help you better appreciate small, joyful things by bringing them to the foreground of your attention. The author gave many examples of artwork, architecture, and stories that illustrate her points, and the book would have vastly benefited from some photos of these subjects. I would recommend keeping the ability to searching things on google close at hand as you're reading so you can see some of the things she mentions with your own eyes.