Saturday, March 2, 2019

Ginny Moon

Ginny Moon
By Benjamin Ludwig
Park Row Books, 2017. 360 pgs. Young Adult

After bouncing around in foster care, Ginny Moon finally has a forever family. However, her new mom is expecting and it’s bringing up worries from her past that Ginny has a hard time expressing. Ginny is autistic, so what’s important to her, how she sees the world, and how she reacts to things, tend to be a little different. She’s constantly worrying about the “baby doll” she hid when CPS took her away from her abusive mother, and she’s willing to do anything, including be kidnapped, to make sure her baby doll is okay.

 I love reading books where the main character has a different view and experience of the world than I do, and seeing things through the eyes of someone with autism was illuminating. Ginny is smart and determined, and because the adults in her life don’t understand what she’s trying to tell them, she must take matters into her own hands to get closure. They kept trying to convince Ginny of one thing or another, trying to get her to understand their view, while not giving serious consideration to Ginny’s view. The frustration I felt for Ginny made me more aware of my own interactions with people with autism. I loved this book for the characters and story, but also for the way it made me look at myself. Would highly recommend.

ACS

No comments: