Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Winter of the Witch: A Novel

The Winter of the Witch: A Novel 
by Katherine Arden
Del Rey, 2019. 372 pgs. Fantasy.

 This epic conclusion to the Winternight trilogy starts the day after the events at the end of The Girl in the Tower. Much of Moscow has burned, and Vasya finds herself alone in the hands of an angry mob that blames her for the fire. The Grand Prince is on a path that leads to war and ruin, a wicked demon is on the loose determined to spread chaos between men and chyerti, and the winter-king is nowhere to be found. Vasya is caught in the middle of the conflict between men and chyerti, the conflict between brothers, and the conflict between Rus and her enemies. As she desperately tries to save Rus, Morozko, and the chyerti she must come to understand her mother’s past and her own magic if she is to save anything at all.

I can’t express how much I loved this book! The writing is superb and the story is complex. Of the three books in this trilogy, I think this one is the best and it is certainly my favorite. I loved finally learning Vasya’s family background, I loved watching Vasya grow into her magic, and seeing her learn to understand the chyerti and her relationship to them. I highly recommend this series to anyone willing to read fantasy. The first book has a slow pace but it picks up in the next two and the story is well worth it.

 ER

1 comment:

Nicole Sperry said...

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with this book review. Katherine Arden delivers a captivating, enchanting, and thought-provoking finale to her Winternight Trilogy. I found myself hanging on every word. The new details Arden adds to the characters in Winter of the Witch makes brings them to life. I can honestly say that I highly recommend this book to anyone, and would recommend any book written by Katherine Arden as well.