Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Forgotten Warrior

The Forgotten Warrior
by Kathi Oram Peterson
Covenant Communications, 2009. 257 pgs. Young Adult Fiction

Sydney Morgan is a teenage girl who has a black belt in Karate; her life is turned upside down when her mother is diagnosed with cancer and her absentee dad comes home trying to play nice guy. When an unexpected gift takes her back to the land of Zarahemla, she is almost immediately accused of being a spy and a soothsayer. Syd not only has to persuade Captain Helaman that she is not a spy but his stripling warriors she has to train in this strange fighting style no one has ever seen before. It will take everything she has to survive till she can make it home.

I have loved this story since the first time I read it my Junior year of high school. It appeals to my inner self to have a short girl taking on and holding her own with grown men who are twice her size. Syd is an amazing teenage character who is going through some difficult life situations but grows through it. Part of the reason why I chose to review this book is I have been waiting for the sequel to this book for eight years and it finally came out this week! I am so excited to read if and how Syd makes it home.

MH

No comments: