Saturday, May 27, 2017

Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life

Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life
By Peter Walsh
Rodale Books, 2017. 256 pgs. Nonfiction

Peter Walsh is a expert on decluttering and how to be happier with less. In his newest book, he focuses on how to downsize when you are faced with major life changes like the death of a spouse, the death of your parents, a job change, retirement, or moving into a smaller home. He acknowledges that often when faced with these monumental life changes, it is not the best time to try to sort through what is really important. Usually you will either hang on to too much, or you'll get rid of something that you will regret later because of a time constraint.

I am in the process of decluttering my home and I decided to see if this book would give me the motivation I was looking for. There were a lot of helpful tips on things you should consider before you start to downsize like how much space you will have and what are the real treasures you want to keep. I didn't realize that this book would talk so much about downsizing because a life event like a death or retirement. Those aren't concerns I am dealing with currently, so a lot of the information felt like it didn't apply to me. He did convince me of the importance of going through my own stuff now, while I am physically able, so that my loved ones won't have to deal with it after I die. I listened to this on Overdrive and even though it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it still had some good tips.

AL

No comments: