Monday, June 27, 2011

Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker
By Anthony Horowitz
Philomel Books, 2001. 192 pgs. Young Adult Fiction

A "reader" can either make or break a book. Nathaniel Parker sucked me into the unabridged audio version of Anthony Horowitz's Stormbreaker (1st in the Alex Rider Adventure series) within the first five minutes. I was thoroughly entertained by this gizmo filled, action packed, clean, teen spy novel as I accompanied Alex Rider on his spy mission. Upon occasion I even found myself holding my breath as danger mounted.

Alex is a resourceful 14 year old, whose uncle (Alex's guardian) is killed in what Alex believes to be a suspicious "car accident". Recruited (under protest) by the British Intelligence (M16), Alex learns the truth about his "banker" uncle as he risks his life James Bond style, in an effort to unravel the hidden reason behind his death.

For those who complain about this book being unrealistic, remember, it is an adventure story meant to entertain. In my opinion, mission accomplished. I enthusiastically recommend the audio version to anyone, any age, who has secretly wished they could be a spy. mpb

No comments: