Thursday, June 3, 2010

Surviving Antarctica

Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083
By Andrea White
Eos, 2005. 327 pgs. Young Adult

It's 2083 and five teens are contestants on a reality TV show, Antarctic Survivor, which is set up to re-create a doomed 1912 attempt to reach the South Pole. But this reality TV is not just an act. The five must struggle to survive the real conditions that killed the original team of experienced explorers and scientists - or die trying.

This was a fun read, but it lacked much depth. The ending was brought up a little short, and I didn't really care for any of the characters. The thing that really interested me was the original 1912 expedition - from the journal excerpts that were included, it sounds like an amazing journey by some amazing men. Still, Surviving Antarctica is a decent book, and I was surprised at how compelled I was to keep turning pages as I got closer and closer to the end.

BHG

No comments: