Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Catching Fire

Catching Fire
By Suzanne Collins
Scholastic Press. 391 pages. Young Adult

In this sequel to The Huger Games, Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 after surviving the Hunger Games, a televised tournament in which children from each of the 12 Districts of Panem fight to the death. Life should be great for Katniss and Peeta now that they have won a lifetime of wealth and food, but Katniss is visited by President Snow who tells her that her subversive win is viewed as a defiance against the capitol and that if she does anything else he will harm her family. While on their mandatory victory tour, Katniss and Peeta learn that a rebellion has indeed been sparked by their triumph over the capitol.

I looked forward to reading this second book by Suzanne Collins with equal parts anxiety and excitement. The Hunger Games had such an unresolved ending that I couldn’t wait to continue the story, but I enjoyed the first book so much, I was worried I wouldn’t like the sequel as well. I am happy to report that I found this book just as enjoyable. Although be warned that this book will leave you craving to know what happens next.

AJ

No comments: