Monday, April 21, 2008

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

THE PRIZE WINNER OF DEFIANCE, OHIO: Terry Ryan: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks: Nonfiction: 351 pages

In the 1950s, the Ryan family struggled to make ends meet. Ten kids and a father who spent most of his paycheck on booze drained the family's meager finances. But mom Evelyn Ryan, a former journalist, found an ingenious way to bring in extra income: entering contests on the backs of cereal boxes and the like. Terry Ryan, Evelyn's daughter, tells the entertaining story of her childhood and her mother's contest career with humor and affection.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It reminded me of “A Girl Named Zippy” which I also enjoyed. The story was humorous and really gave me a feel of what small town life was like in the 1950s and 60s. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a biography that reads like fiction!

AMM

No comments: