Monday, January 8, 2007

I am the Messenger

I AM THE MESSENGER: Markus Zusak: Knopf: Fiction: 368(Audio Book)

Ed Kennedy, shortly after becoming the unlikely hero of a bank robbery, starts getting face cards in the mail with the names of people he needs to help in some way. The cards don't explain how he is supposed to help these people, and the even the names of the people become increasingly difficult to figure out. Ed encounters both horrific and beautiful events along this mystery, but he has no idea who's sending the messages - what do they want with Ed Kennedy, and when will it end? I listened to this book every moment I could - I was so compelled by the messages, and by Ed Kennedy himself. He is a 19 year old cab driver with no self esteem and little ambition towards anything. However, his compassion for his friends and self-ironic wit are completely endearing. The characteriztions are almost more entertaining than witnessing the change that takes place is Ed throughout this experience. Though the end just about cheesed me into cardiac arrest, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. (I did listen to the book on tape and perhaps the "Lifetime" music over the last two lines of the book grossed me out.) Great book. Read it.

BES

1 comment:

MBC said...

I just read this on my plane ride home. It's true that the ending is cheese-o-riffic and the amazing new literary device at the end didn't really work for me, although I think it could be an interesting idea if used a little differently. Good book. Some language.