Friday, July 14, 2017

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
By Sheryl Sandberg
Alfred A. Knopf, 2017. 226 pgs. Nonfiction

Sheryl Sandberg's world changed forever when her husband passed away while they were on vacation. In this book she talks about how this experience has changed her and her outlook on life. Sheryl and co-author Adam Grant discuss his research on resilience and rebounding from adversity using experiences from her life.

This book reminded of Brene Brown's work. I appreciated seeing how Sheryl worked through the grief process and how she has dealt with the impact of her husband's death with her children, friends, and co-workers. Although the topic of death is never a fun one, I never felt like this book was heavy or depressing. This book gave me a lot to ponder as I think about the ways that I can face adversity with resilience in my own life.

AMM

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I like that this book discusses the hard topic of death and loss without being overbearing. Sandberg's personal experiences make up the majority of this book with some research sprinkled in. I found that the research added an extra dimension that many memoirs lack. Sandberg's personal reflection on her loss was a good reminder that the end of a chapter is not necessarily the end of a book and is a good resource for those experiencing grief.