Monday, January 8, 2007

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU: Ally Carter: Hyperion: 2006: Young Adult: 284 pages

Cammie, a sophomore at a secret spy school, falls for a local boy in town while on a class mission. She begins dating him, telling him that she's homeschooled for religious reasons, while trying to keep him a secret from her school and protecting her true identity from him.

While the basic plot of this book is not so different from many, many, many contemporary YA books, this is one of my favorite YA books of the year. It's extremely readable, clean fluff. The narrator, Cammie, is likeable, the secret school and its covert operations are amusing, and there are nice subplots involving Cammie's parents and her friendships with other students. AND the title is great.

MBC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book is a hilarious read! Teens who are interested in books about boarding school life should definitely check out this novel and the sequel by Ally Carter. A third Gallagher Girls book will be released in 2009. This novel has also been optioned for a film by Walden Media.

Adrienne said...

I listened to the audio book of this, and that was enjoyable as well. The one gripe I have is that the narrator did a poor job with Josh's voice--and who wants the romantic male lead to sound dumb? Other than that, though, I really enjoyed it.