Monday, July 17, 2017

My Life, My Love, My Legacy

My Life, My Love, My Legacy
By Coretta Scott King; as told to the Rev. Dr. Barbara Reynolds
Henry Holt & Company, 2017. 356 pgs. Biography

There are so many inspiring people in the world and I am constantly regretting the little I know about some of them.  To rectify that as much as possible, I try to pick up memoirs and biographies to fill the gap left by either my education or my poor memory.  Before her death in 2006, Coretta Scott King told her life’s story to journalist Barbara Reynolds.  My Life, My Love, My Legacy is the result of that and numerous other interviews and is written entirely from Coretta’s point of view.

Her story began in the deeply segregated south where she was born to determined parents who wished a better life and world for their children.  Thanks to her hard work as a student, Coretta attended Antioch College in Ohio and then she traveled to Boston where she studied classical music.  It was at this point that she met Martin Luther King, Jr. and eventually made his cause and his dream her own.

I love memoirs.  Hearing people interpret their own lives is a power thing.  This memoir presented a vaguely familiar story in vibrant colors and with heartfelt sentiment.  The courage, patience, hard work, and perseverance of this determined woman radiates from her words.  The audio version is partially read by Phylicia Rashad which made it an additional treat.

CG

No comments: