Friday, June 10, 2022

In My Dreams I Hold a Knife

In My Dreams I Hold a Knife 
By Ashley Winstead 
Sourcebooks Landmark, 2021. 345 pages. Mystery 

Jessica Miller plans to triumphantly return to Duquette University for her ten-year reunion festivities. She's the most successful out of her entire group of friends and she's ready to flaunt her achievements... even though her friend group, known on campus as the East House Seven, doesn't really exist anymore. Ten years ago, Heather, one of their own, was murdered, fracturing the once close-knit group. Then another friend was accused of committing the vile act, shattering whatever friendly feelings remained. Jessica thinks she's coming back to campus to bask in a wave of glory. She and her friends have no idea that someone has set an elaborate trap to catch the real killer and close the cold case for good. 

This book immediately pulled me into the dark academia setting of the fictional Duquette University; its looming campus provided the perfect backdrop for this twisty thriller. I enjoyed diving into the complicated web of friendships of the East House Seven; their mutual deceptions kept me guessing who I could trust...if anyone. I was particularly drawn into the alternating timeline which made me feel like I was part of the investigative process trying to solve Heather’s brutal murder (I didn’t). Overall, In My Dreams I Hold a Knife kept me on the edge of my seat right until the explosive finale. 

If you like In My Dreams I Hold a Knife, you might also like: 


By Vera Kurian 
Park Row Books, 2021. 389 pages. Mystery 

It would be easy to underestimate Chloe Sevre. She's a freshman honor student, a legging-wearing hot girl next door, who also happens to be a psychopath. She spends her time on yogalates, frat parties and plotting to kill Will Bachman, a childhood friend who grievously wronged her. Chloe is one of seven students at her DC-based college who are part of an unusual clinical study of psychopaths. The study, led by a renowned psychologist, requires them to wear smart watches that track their moods and movements. When one of the students in the study is found murdered in the psychology building, a dangerous game of cat and mouse begins, and Chloe goes from hunter to prey. As she races to identify the killer and put her own plan for revenge into action, she'll be forced to decide if she can trust her fellow psychopaths -- and everybody knows you should never trust a psychopath. 


By Riley Sager 
Dutton, 2021. 324 pages. Mystery 

It's November 1991. Nirvana's in the tape deck, George H. W. Bush is in the White House, and movie-obsessed college student Charlie Jordan is in a car with a man who might be a serial killer. Josh Baxter, the man behind the wheel, is a virtual stranger to Charlie. They met at the campus ride board, each looking to share the long drive home to Ohio. Both have good reasons for wanting to get away. For Charlie, it's guilt and grief over the shocking murder of her best friend, who became the third victim of the man known as the Campus Killer. For Josh, it's to help care for his sick father -- or so he says. The longer she sits in the passenger seat, the more Charlie notices there's something suspicious about Josh, from the holes in his story about his father to how he doesn't want her to see inside the trunk. As they travel an empty, twisty highway in the dead of night, an increasingly anxious Charlie begins to think she's sharing a car with the Campus Killer. 

BW

No comments: