Thursday, January 28, 2021

Year of Yes


Year of Yes 
By Shonda Rhimes
Simon & Schuster, 2015. 311 pgs. Nonfiction

Shonda Rhimes is the creator of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal". In this book she tells about the year she realized she was saying "no" to almost everything in her life. She hadn't really realized how unhappy she was. She decided that for one year she would say yes to opportunities that presented themselves. She didn't fully anticipate the far reaching effect this decision would have on her life and how the momentum of a few "yes's" would carry over into other areas of her life. She also talked about how some of the experiences terrified her to death, but she went through with it anyway and was glad that she did. 

This was a great book to read at the beginning of a new year. I have to be honest and say that I've never watched any of the shows Shonda Rhimes created, but it was fun to hear some of the behind the scenes details. I listened to this book on Libby and it felt like I was sitting down with a friend for some helpful advice. I also enjoyed that she shared the actual audio of some of the speeches she gave. The way she writes, and repeats certain phrases, probably would have bothered me if I was trying to read the physical book so I'm glad I listened to it. This book encouraged me to evaluate my own life and see if there are some areas that I could start saying "Yes" more often.  

AL




No comments: