Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Still Foolin' 'Em

Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys
By Billy Crystal
Henry Holt and Co., 2013. 288 pgs. Nonfiction

 In this book Billy Crystal tells about his life starting in childhood, his rise to fame, important people in his life, and recent events of the last decade that will have a lasting impact on him. These are all interspersed with humorous bits about aging and being a baby boomer in this modern age. I listened to the audiobook which I enjoyed immensely, Billy's inflection and presentation add to the story immeasurably.

 I was really impressed by Crystal's storytelling ability. Of course this book made me laugh, but it also made me tear up. It had a compelling narrative flow, with meaningful themes that reappeared throughout the text and came full circle in the end. It also helps that he seems to have had one of the most charmed lives I've ever heard of. If you can, I'd highly recommend watching a recording of Crystal's broadway show, 700 Sundays, in addition to this, as it fills in a few gaps in this story and is equally heartwarming (and sometimes heartbreaking) as this book was. Be aware that Crystal frequently uses adult language and suggestive jokes.

 BHG

No comments: