Monday, June 10, 2013

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
By Lucy Knisley
MacMillan Children's Publishing Group, 2013. 192 pages.  Nonfiction Graphic Novel

This graphic novel portrays a series of vignettes of important moments in the author's life involving food.  Like many of us, food shaped certain memories, suffused them with the recollection of flavors, aromas, and all sorts of tastiness.  Each vignette ended with a fabulous graphically rendered recipe of significant importance to the stories she tells.

This is a simple enough memoir of the author's formative years, but filled with humor and appreciation for the way food can knit together friendships and the significant moments of our lives.

BHG

2 comments:

Amy said...

Warning: Do not read this while hungry! Lucy Knisley’s illustrated memoir will make you want to move to a small flat above a hipster cheese shop. Or possibly move to the countryside to shop for exotic and rustic produce at a farmer’s market. And boy, did I crave roast chicken after this. I loved the way that food is tied up into Knisley’s memories, and I enjoyed the illustrated recipes at the end of each chapter. I even tried the chocolate chip cookies, and they were amazing.

Hannah said...

Knisley's illustrations and story made me want to become a cheese connoisseur and travel Europe. Her personal experiences connected to her love of food is something I can relate to. I remember Halloween with the taste of my mom's home made stew. School finals remind me of gourmet breakfast burritos. Kinsley's story helped me reflect on my own experiences and how food connects us with others. I loved that Kinsley included recipes in her book and I am certainly going to try out some of them. If you like a quick read, memoirs, and food then this is a good pick for you!