Monday, May 21, 2012

The Amityville Horror

The Amityville Horror
By Jay Anson
Pocket Star Books, 1977 (1991). 239 pgs. Nonfiction.

When the Lutz family moved into 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York they thought they were getting a great bargain on an amazing house, complete with swimming pool and boat house. George and Kathleen knew that there had been a mass murder there a year before, but that kind of thing didn’t bother them. They didn’t believe in ghosts. That all changed in the course of twenty-eight days when they finally fled the house, leaving all their possessions behind, never to return again. This is the true story of a haunted house, full of terrifying psychic phenomena that still draws the eye of ghost hunters and parapsychologists today.

Originally I knew nothing about this book or the story behind it, just that there was a movie with the same name. When I decided to give it a try, I was surprised to see that it was nonfiction. I’m not typically a jumpy person so I didn’t think it would be too bad. It was terrifying! Scared as I was I felt compelled to continue because I wanted to know what happened next. To me, that’s a mark of a good book, getting so absorbed in the story that you have to continue. This is definitely a book I would recommend to anyone looking for a fright. But if you scare easily, stay away from it, unless you plan on sleeping with the lights on…away from windows… on a calm night… with other people around.

ACS

No comments: