Monday, January 30, 2012

Rapunzel's Revenge

Rapunzel's Revenge
By Shannon & Dean Hale, Illustrated by Nathan Hale
Bloomsbury Pub., 2008. 144 pgs. Graphic Novel

This graphic novel of Rapunzel takes a little different spin on the classic fairytale. After being thrown in a tall tree prison for discovering what is on the other side of the tall wall that surrounds her home, Rapunzel decides to take matters into her own hands and escapes using her unusually long hair. She passes up the arrogant prince on his way to save her and teams up with Jack (think Jack in the beanstalk) to try to survive in a Wild West setting. Rapunzel's hair is used as rope and weapon as they try to save those around them from wild animals, outlaws and the evil Gothel.

Some outrageous things happen in this book, but somehow it all works. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed this book because I don't usually read graphic novels. My biggest problem was that my children kept stealing it from me. I loved how strong Rapunzel was. She showed that you don't have to wait for someone to come save you. By taking matters into your own hands, you just might discover that you are stronger than you think.

AL

No comments: