Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Call

The Call
by Yannick Murphy
Harper Perennial, 2011. 220 pgs. Fiction

The daily rhythm of a veterinarian’s family in rural New England is shaken when a hunting accident leaves their eldest son in a coma. With the lives of his loved ones unhinged, the veterinarian struggles to maintain stability while searching for the man responsible. But in the midst of their great trial an unexpected visitor arrives, requesting a favor that will have profound consequences—testing a loving father’s patience, humor, and resolve and forcing husband and wife to come to terms with what “family” truly means.

The writing style of this book is very unique. I wasn’t expecting it and so it took a while to get used to it and to enjoy the book. However, I am glad that I persevered because I ended up loving this book and still cannot stop thinking about it a week after I finished reading it. If you are a looking for a quirky and rewarding read, this is the book for you.

JC

2 comments:

lw said...

I really like it, too. Thanks for the review.

lw said...

I really like it, too. Thanks for the review.