Friday, September 2, 2011

The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace

The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace
By Gary D. Chapman
Northfield Publishing, 2011. 272 pages. Nonfiction.

Gary Chapman along with Paul White adapt the Five Love Languages for the workplace. The authors explain that the goal of this book is to bring a higher level of job satisfaction and reduce burnout for individual employees and to improve the quality/quantity of work being produce. This book is written to teach both managers and co-workers how to effectively communicate appreciation in a work environment. In the workplace, your primary love language may be different than in your personal relationships.

Though I didn’t really feel like any new ground was covered than in the original Five Love Languages book, I did appreciate the examples given for the work environment. I am also much more aware of what I can do to show appreciation to my co-workers (I certainly appreciate them, but probably have never communicated that very well). I think this would be an excellent read for all managers and for anyone who does feel unhappy in their job situation.

AJ

No comments: