Saturday, July 16, 2011

Delirium

Delirium
By Lauren Oliver
Harper, 2011. 441 pgs. Young Adult

In a future United States, love has been classified as a deadly disease, causing madness, unhappiness, and a host of other problems. Scientists have developed a cure to be given to people when they reach the age of eighteen; once they are cured, they are no longer capable of loving and they have orderly, stable lives, devoid of pain. Lena, whose mother wasn't cured and went mad, can't wait to turn eighteen and be cured. At least until she meets Alex, that is. Alex has never received the cure and introduces Lena to a whole new way of thinking about love. Soon, Lena must decide if she'll adhere to the laws of her society or try to pursue a relationship with Alex.

I really liked the premise of the book; the idea of government regulating and banning love is certainly intriguing. There were times when I was completely drawn into the book and other times when I wished there was less descriptive information and more plot. I have to say, I didn't like the ending, not just for the way things played out but what I thought was almost too easy a response and acceptance of her new fate by Lena. All in all, though, I think a lot of readers will enjoy this book that gives a whole new meaning to being star-crossed lovers.

AE

No comments: