Monday, December 6, 2010

My Name is Jason. Mine too.: Our Story. Our Way.

My Name is Jason. Mine too.: Our Story. Our Way.
By Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffin
Joanna Cotler Books, 2009. 96 pgs. Young Adult Nonfiction

Two young men named Jason, one black and one white, use poetry and art to communicate their different perspectives.

This is an eclectic mix of art and poetry. The first few pages tell their story and then the rest of the book is dedicated to their art. My favorite poem is entitled “Sick.”

Sick
My mother
Is coming home
From the hospital
Tomorrow

And it has occurred
To me That
Somewhere
Between being Bathed
In a bathtub
Overflowing with
Soapsuds and toy soldiers

And Today

I have learned to appreciate her

Seems like sickbeds
Become signals
To selfish sons
Saying

Trouble don’t last always
Nor do mothers


AMM

No comments: