Wednesday, September 15, 2010

And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None
By Agatha Christie
St. Martin’s Press, 1939. 275 pgs. Mystery

When ten people arrive on private Indian Island off England's southwest coast, lured to a mansion by invitations from a mysterious host, terror mounts as one guest after another is murdered, in a classic whodunit that is an elaboration of the famous children's rhyme "Ten Little Indians."

In honor of Agatha Christie’s 120th birthday, I decided to pick up one of her most well known titles. This book has been adapted as a play and I would be interested to see it played out. Since the mystery follows the poem “Ten Little Indians” I knew how the next person would die, but not who was going to die. I liked the twist at the end and would recommend this book to anyone who likes cozy mysteries.

AMM

2 comments:

AL said...

Agatha Christie is the master of mystery and I can't believe it took me this long to read one of her books. I loved And Then There Were None! I knew before I started reading, that by the end of the book everyone would be dead, but I kept expecting one of the characters to survive. The funnest part was that I wasn't able to guess the mastermind behind all of the murders. I loved staying up later than I should to finish the book.

ER said...

I actually had seen the play a few years ago, so going into the book I knew who was behind it all. It was so fascinating reading it knowing, because then I saw all these clues! I still stayed up too late to finish reading this one. Anyone looking for an enjoyable classic mystery will like this book.