Monday, March 2, 2009

Defiance: The Bielski Partisans

DEFIANCE : Nachema Tec: Oxford University Press: Nonfiction: 374 pgs.

This is the inspiring story of the largest rescue operation for Jews by Jews. Led by Tuvia Bielski, an uneducated man from a farming community in Poland, this group of nearly 1,200 Jewish partisans survived for years while living in forest communities during World War II. Most partisan groups in Poland would only admit armed individuals able to fight, but Bielski’s group accepted anyone they found in need. They placed more importance on saving lives than avenging themselves against their German oppressors.

I picked up this book because of its movie tie-in starring Daniel Craig. The story fascinated me and I was anxious to learn the truth behind the legend portrayed in the trailer. I was not disappointed. I did find Tec’s writing to be a bit repetitive, but the book is so full of fascinating direct quotes from Bielski survivors that any style deficiency is made up for by intriguing content.

CZ

1 comment:

lw said...

Great review. I want to read the book.