Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hattie Big Sky

HATTIE BIG SKY: Kirby Larson: Delacorte Press: Young Adult: 289 pages

Toward the end of WWII, orphan Hattie Brooks travels to Montana to farm the 320 acre claim her uncle left her. Fulfilling the requirements to keep the land proves difficult, though, and navigating the social and political effects of the war is even more difficult, as Hattie befriends a woman and her German husband.

This Newbery Honor book was inspired by the author’s great-grandmother and is based on extensive research. Touching portraits of friends and neighbors and Hattie’s own struggle to do right by others creates a warm story full of heart.

MBC

1 comment:

AL said...

This book had a lot of historical detail. I really liked the characters. I never realized the extent of the prejudice toward people of German descent during WWI. This book made me laugh and cry but I have to admit that I wanted more closure from the ending.