Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Brief History of the Dead

THE BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEAD: Kevin Brockmeier: Vintage Publishing: Fiction: 272 pgs.

In the near future a virulent virus has spread around the world killing off the majority of the population. Laura Byrd, a scientist located in a remote base in Antarctica, slowly begins to realize that she may be the lone survivor. In the author's version of life after death spirits are sent to a parallel universe of living, much like the world they came from. The theory is, as long as someone is alive that remembers you, you will stay in this parallel universe. Multiple story lines run through the book, both of Laura and her struggle to survive, and all those who knew her trying to figure out this strange life after death. I enjoyed this book with it's non-traditional theory of what life after death could be. It didn't answer any questions but definitely brought up a few.

DEF

2 comments:

CG said...

This is the type of book I struggle reviewing. Did I like it? I think so. Would I recommend it? Maybe. Brockmeier is definitely a gifted story teller, but I was left with more questions than I usually prefer. I enjoyed the insight into how we affect those we interact with throughout our lives and how little encounters can seriously affect one person while passing unnoticed by another. However, I couldn't wrap my mind around the afterlife described. Little questions concerning the logistics of the place distracted me from embracing the story line. CZ

AL said...

When I finished this book, I was sure that I didn't like it, but then I found myself thinking about it more and more. Now I'm not sure. I still have so many questions about the events in the book. I am the type of person who usually likes everything wrapped up by the end of the book and "The Brief History of the Dead" did not do that.
I did really enjoy thinking about how many people we come in contact with throughout our lives and how those encounters affect us. AL