Friday, March 30, 2018

Ashes on the Moor

Ashes on the Moor
By Sarah M. Eden
Shadow Mountain, 2018. 376 pgs. Historical Romance

Evangeline's life changed drastically the day that most of her family died and a cruel aunt sent her to be a schoolteacher in a small factory town called Smeatley. She is separated from her only remaining sister and told that the only way for them to be reunited is for her to be successful in her new career. Evangeline wants desperately to succeed but she has lived a privileged life and has never had to learn to cook, clean or support herself. To add to her troubles, most of the children have never been to school before and speak a dialect that is almost impossible for her to understand. Luckily she meets her neighbor Dermot who is willing to teach her the basic necessities of life and they come to rely on each other in the ups and downs of life.

I am a huge fan of Sarah Eden's books. She continues to write stories with complex characters, an intriguing story line, a well developed setting, and a happy ending. I really enjoyed learning more about the struggles of living in a Regency era mill town. I can't even imagine the difficulties these families faced. This is another title in the Proper Romance line of books and I highly recommend it!

AL

1 comment:

Amy said...

Evangeline was brought up as a proper lady in a fine family. When her parents and her brother die, she and her younger sister Lucy are forced apart, and Evangeline must learn to make her way in the world as a school teacher. She has never been independent, does not know how to teach or keep house, and doesn’t even know how to cook the simplest of meal. In her hour of need, her grumpy neighbor, Dermot McCormick, begrudgingly agrees to help her find her footing. Can Evangeline not only find her way but also find happiness in this new life?
This is the first Sarah Eden novel I have read, and I believe the first proper romance novel as well. I didn’t expect to enjoy the book as much as I did. While the storyline was a bit predictable, I found the setting of the Yorkshire working town interesting and the central plot point of teaching the children in their own language was near and dear to my heart. I’m glad I gave this book (and genre) a chance.