Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Dragon's Price: a Transference Novel

The Dragon’s Price: A Transference Novel
by Bethany Wiggins
Crown Books for Young Readers, 2017. 296 pgs. Young Adult Fiction; Fantasy

 For three hundred years, two kingdoms have been protected from the fire dragon by a powerful spell that keeps it trapped under the mountain. In order to keep the dragon bound each Faodarian princess must willingly offer herself in marriage to the enemy prince or be given to the dragon.
 At birth, the family wizard pronounced that Princess Sorrowlynn would die by her own hand. Now that she is sixteen, the sheltered Sorrowlynn is expected to properly complete her part in the binding ceremony. Everyone is surprised when she chooses the dragon over a forced marriage, especially the young Prince Golmarr, who intended to wed her.
Not willing to give up so easily, Golmarr follows her into the mountain, hoping to slay the dragon and save the princess. As for Sorrow, she assumes she will fulfill her birth prophecy, since dying by her own hand would be less painful than being eaten alive by an angry dragon. However, once the two reach the dragon’s lair, nothing happens as either has planned.

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I felt like I knew what direction the book was going to go until I got about one third of the way into the book and suddenly I had no idea where it was going. I love it when a book surprises me! I usually like dragon books where the dragons are good guys, or at least don’t eat people. But these dragons are nasty and I still really liked the book.

No comments: