Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Milk and Honey

Milk and Honey
By Rupi Kaur Andrews
McMeel, 2015. 204 pages.

“I didn’t leave because
I stopped loving you,
I left because the longer 
I stayed the less I loved myself.” 

In this book of beautiful and heart-breaking poetry, author Rupi Kauer explores abuse, love, loss, and healing. The poetry is accompanied by simple yet evocative line illustrations that help translate the feelings conveyed in each poem. Kauer’s unique style is easily accessible, but full raw emotion. For many readers, these poems are like looking into a mirror, finding in them the words to express the hurt and hope that we have all experienced. The first few sections on abuse and loss are difficult to process emotionally, especially for women with histories of abuse, but the last section on feminine strength inspires hope and healing for readers.

 ALL

1 comment:

Lindseyh said...

This book was so surprising and refreshing in its powerful simplicity. The prose and illustrations left plenty of white space on the page and I feel that the white space is in large part what drew me in as well as added to the depth of Kaur's work. Now when I say that her work is simple, I mean it is simple only in its vernacular. Any reader could pick up the book and read and know the words they read. But the themes and topics Kaur addresses are bold, difficult, and sensitive. Kaur's work is evocative and profound, perfect for any woman and recommended to every man who seeks to understand the heart and struggle of what it means to be a woman today.

LH