Friday, March 13, 2015

The Moment of Everything

The Moment of Everything
by Shelly King
Grand Central Publishing, 2014. 274 pages. Fiction.

Maggie, who was recently fired from the Silicon Valley startup she helped create, has been spending her days at the Dragonfly, devouring every romance novel she can get her hands on and putting off finding another high-powered tech job. Until her friend Dizzy decides to get involved, telling her to come to a corporate book club with a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover and her best schmoozing skills. Little does she know that the copy of the book she picks up from the Dragonfly is full of love notes between an anonymous Henry and Catherine, weaving a love story in the margins of the Lawrence classic. As Maggie starts to hunt for Henry and Catherine, will she find at the same time the things that are most important to her?

I am conflicted even now writing a review of this book. I thought the premise was interesting and it has a lot of good reviews. For some reason, though, I had a really hard time getting into this one. Maybe it was the prose - it seemed a little too overdone at times. Or maybe it was Maggie - I had a hard time relating to her. Or maybe it was just me. But the thing about this book is that it did make me think. And I've seen reviews from regular book lovers online who found this to be the best book they've read all year. It seems to have a polarizing effect on readers - either you love it or you don't, but there's no middle ground. So my advice might be to take my recommendation with a grain of salt and give it a try, if the premise sounds interesting to you. You might just discover a gem.

JH

No comments: