Monday, May 16, 2011

Poop Happened!

Poop Happened!: a history of the world from the bottom up
Sarah Albee
Walker & Company, 2010.170 pgs. Nonfiction

I admit this is not your normal "read in public" book. In fact, my adult son was totally embarrassed and treated me like a Gongfermor (a specific medieval occupation) when he saw me reading it. But I LOVED this disgustingly fascinating, young adult, "clean", easy read book. Filled with piles of info about the direct correlation between poop and the history of human civilization, it will answer questions you have wondered about all your life. Just how did those noble women with 8 ft. wide skirts or a knight in his suit of armor "go"? Photos and cartoon drawings abound on each page reinforcing the information about stinky pollution, sewers, sanitation (or lack of), cholera and other pestilence from ancient Greeks to today's astronauts.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has the urge to read a captivating gross book.
mpb

No comments: