Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Positive Discipline: The First Three Years

Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child 
by Jane Nelsen, Cheryl Erwin, and Roslyn Ann Duffy
Three Rivers Press, 2007, 292 pgs. Nonfiction

Kind and firm is the backbone of the Positive Discipline approach to child-rearing. Specific to children ages 0-3, parents will find instruction on positive methods of managing the challenges that come with raising toddlers and methods that will encourage toddlers to learn confidence and appropriate boundaries rather than punishing them for age-appropriate behavior. Topics covered include: brain development, temperament, trust, autonomy, age-appropriate behavior, emotional and social skills, eating, sleeping, potty-training, childcare, and more.

I love the philosophy of kind yet firm, no anger needed. It really helped me to understand what sorts of things are age-appropriate and how to communicate with my toddler in a way he will understand, which means I don’t get so frustrated that he doesn’t get ‘no’ like I want him to. I definitely recommend this book to parents of toddlers, although I would probably read the third edition rather than the second one like I did just because I think the chapters about finding support resources and childcare options would be more up-to-date.

 ER

No comments: