Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Solo

Solo
by Kwame Alexander
Blink, 2017. 424 pages. Young Adult

Blade has it all - but he wishes he didn't. Being the son of famed rock legend Rutherford Morrison comes with as much loss, scandal, and dysfunction as fame and fortune. Blade takes solace in writing, his girlfriend, and knowing that soon he'll be off to college, until his father's antics and the revelation of a family secret devastate all his hopes for a fresh start. Feeling more lost and confused than ever before, Blade sets off on a journey to learn about his past, and hopefully, his future.

As a kid, I often wondered what it would be like to be famous or have famous parents, and I remember how funny it was to read an interview with a child celebrity who said they used to imagine they had an "ordinary life." The grass is always greener, as they say, and this story definitely plays on this theme. I really liked Blade as a character; despite being a rich, naturally talented son of a rock star, his struggle to establish his identity and desire to strike out on his own will remind you of your own teen angst. Readers who have passed through that gauntlet of life will sympathize with and agonize over Blade's youthful (often narrow) perspective, and cheer his transition from child to young adult. I kept thinking to myself, "Oh I remember those days! Thank God I survived!" This book also explores family relationships, and complicated ones at that as Blade's family has felt deep loss and the effects of addiction. I loved that the audio book had Blade's songs performed by a professional musician. The final song, ah, it's so beautiful! Even if you prefer physical books, I strongly recommend having the audio book on hand so you can hear the songs performed.

MW




No comments: