Friday, November 6, 2009

Guns, Germs, and Steel

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
By Jared Diamond
Norton, 2005. 518 pgs. Nonfiction
Books On Tape 13 discs

Although guns, germs and steel do play an important part of this book and the development of civilization, the majority of this book is dedicated to the domestication of both wild plants and animals. Development of domestication seems to lead to advanced technology. Some sections, containing nothing but lists of cultural centers and the years things developed, seem to drag on forever. I do admit I did find some ideas scattered throughout extremely interesting. I listened to the “Books on Tape”, 13 disc, unabridged edition of this Pulitzer Prize winning book. Even though I normally would have been extremely interested in this topic, I found my thoughts drifting all over the place instead of focusing on the book. The reader Doug Ordunio was ok but he just could not keep my attention. I would recommend this to the most dedicated students of the rise of civilization who don’t mind every idea being compared to the development or nondevelopment of New Guinea.

mpb

No comments: