Friday, May 24, 2019

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: a magical story

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story
By Marie Kondo, Illustrated by Yuko Uramoto 
Ten Speed Press, 2017. 192 pgs. Graphic Novel 

Meet Chiaki: a young, single professional living in a tiny messy apartment. When she gets a glimpse into her attractive neighbor's tidy apartment one night, she is determined to have an apartment as clean as his. After reading some glowing reviews, Chiaki hires Marie Kondo to help her on her life-changing journey of tidying up her small and unlivable apartment. With principles illustrated directly from Marie Kondo's The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up, and with Marie Kondo herself as the guide, Chiaki ventures through all of her belongings to determine which of her belongings bring her joy to ultimately get her to a living space that brings her joy.  

Let me first say, I read The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. When I saw this title sitting on the shelf, I was a bit skeptical of the comic format but curious enough to pick it up. I loved it. Although Kondo had shared personal snippets of story here and there in her previous book, it was still a little difficult for me to relate to those people or feel like the Konmari method was something that I myself could undertake. However, I felt fully invested with Chiaki. I was cheering her on and rejoicing in her successes the whole book through.

LH

No comments: