Friday, May 24, 2019

Takane & Hana Vol. 1

Takane & Hana Vol. 1 
By Yuki Shiwasu 
VIZ Media LLC, 2018, 200 pgs, Young Adult Graphic Novel

When Hana’s older sister refuses to attend an arranged marriage meeting, Hana is forced to go posing as her older sister in order for her father to keep his job and reputation. The meeting is brief and utterly disastrous, yet… successful? Takane, 10 years Hana’s senior, continues to see Hana who is still posing as her older sister. But what will happen when he finds out the truth about Hana’s age and identity? 


I loved this book for so many reasons. Each character has a distinct personality and style. The relationships are dynamic and entertaining, especially the one between Takane and Hana. While Hana is spunky and grounded, Takane is demanding, stubborn, and awkward. Their behavior towards each other is often appalling, their conversation snarky, but their overall dynamic sweet and charming. The art is engaging, expressive, and fluid. The content is clean. I loved the good-naturedness and innocence of this comic. This is far from your typical romance story which is one of the reasons I think it works so well.


If you aren’t used to reading backwards, I feel that this is a good comic to start with. There is a mini instruction guide on the very last page of the book that shows with arrows and numbers in which order the comic panels should be read. I also recommend this comic for starters because even if a couple of the panels are read out of order, it won’t affect the flow or feel of the story (I speak from experience). I also feel that the story sucked me in so quickly that I was willing to take the time to learn how to read this comic because I wanted to know what happened.


LH

No comments: