Saturday, October 22, 2016

What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot
By Liane Moriarty
G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2011. 426 pgs. Fiction

Alice has an accident at the gym and when she wakes up she does not remember the last 10 years of her life. She believes she is still 29 years old and expecting her first child. To get out of the hospital she tells the doctors she is fine and returns to her home. The problem is that she has no idea who her children are, or how to be a mother. Even more puzzling to her is why her husband, who she adores, can't stand to be around her. Alice is baffled by the person she has become and she's not exactly sure she likes who she is anymore.

As I read this book I just kept thinking about who I was 10 years ago and what I thought my future would hold. How have my relationships changed? What has changed about my personality? How have my dreams changed? There is a lot to think about and discuss in this book. I was also impressed with how Moriarty portrayed one of the characters who was suffering from infertility. Having gone through infertility struggles myself, I thought she did an amazing job sharing the thoughts, feelings and frustrations of someone facing this trial.

I loved this book! Liane Moriarty is a talented author that examines very serious issues through her quirky characters. Because she jumps around between past and present, and who is narrating the story,  the reader just gets little snippets of information that don't all come together until the end of the book. Sometimes that is annoying to me, but not with Moriarty books. It just makes it more fun to read.

AL

No comments: